ILS approaches
Monkeyboy126
2003-09-02 20:19:24 UTC
A friend came over at the weekend and being new to flight sim myself, he
offered to show me a few of the basics.

One thing was the ILS approach that used the 'APR' button, along with
autopilot that aligned the plane both on the glide slide and localiser. For
the life of me I cannot remember how we did it??

I can get the plane (learjet) the fly the localiser on AP but not the glide
slope, what am I doing wrong??

Cheers
Gary
Cheers
Dave
2003-12-09 02:49:46 UTC
Once you are on the loc. press the approach button. When the aircraft
intersepts the glideslope the aircraft will begin to descend automaticaly.
Just make sure you approach from bellow the G/S. make sure the blue diamonnd
is at the top of the scale.

D.Fisher
Post by Monkeyboy126
the life of me I cannot remember how we did it??
I can get the plane (learjet) the fly the localiser on AP but not the
glide
Post by Monkeyboy126
slope, what am I doing wrong??
Cheers
Didymus
2003-12-03 00:48:12 UTC
Most glidescopes are set at or around 2,000' (2,0'). If you're flying
completely by autopilot, just make sure you intercept the glidescope at that
altitude. You should be able to see the glidescope on your GPS if you're not
too far out or zoomed in too far. When you see the localizer bar and needle
pick up the signal, just hit APR and you should be OK. Also, you may want to
make sure you have the correct frequency dialed into "NAV 1" portion of the
radio, otherwise you won't pick up the glidescope at all.

And last but not least, make sure you are reducing your speed and extending
flaps when appropriate.

Happy flying!
--
Will Thomas
LA-313
Cheers
John Morgan
2005-07-15 00:50:17 UTC
For airports in the US, there are places that offer online access to US
Terminal Proceedure Publications (commonly known as "plates") showing the
altitudes and courses for ILS approaches. The altitude for intercept is
often dictated by other airports in the area and by the surrounding terrain.
Regardless of the altitude however, you must be below the glideslope, not
above it, to intercept it.
Post by Monkeyboy126
the life of me I cannot remember how we did it??
I can get the plane (learjet) the fly the localiser on AP but not the
glide
Post by Monkeyboy126
slope, what am I doing wrong??
Cheers