Looking for MS Sidewinder install software from original CD
davebutt
2003-09-22 13:29:07 UTC
Greetings,

I have a sidewinder presicion 2, and have only recently
realized a need for the software that came on the cd packaged with the
stick. I have looked all through the house and cant seem to find it. I
am guessing I accidentally gave it to a friend with my older
sidewinder precision pro (gameport type, not usb). Anyhow, I have gone
to the microsoft site but the newer version is not available for
download.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/downloads.asp

I did download their Profile Activator software, but it does not
support the precision 2. It supports the following hardware:

sidewinder game pad
sidewinder 3d pro
sidewinder force feedback pro
sidewinder precision pro (the one I gave away)
sidewinder freestyle pro
sidewinder force feedback wheel

This is version is 3.02.0391 and it does not even detect my stick, let
alone program it. So.. I started looking around online, and it seems
the newer software I need is not available for download from
microsoft, and I am not the only person out there who needs it.

If anyone here has this cd, and would be willing to zip it up and
upload it to me (or to a binary group) I would be utterly grateful. I
am certainly willing to help out with instructions on how to make a
disk image with programs such as Ahead Nero, Clone CD, and the like.
It would be nice to have a complete copy of the cd, but of course I
really only need the sidewinder software if bandwidth is an issue.

Thanks for reading thru, and for considering helping out.

~dave

BTW, my intent is to map the tophat buttons for POV in Battlefield
1942. The game did not come with this capability, but it is apparently
possible.
Quilljar
2003-09-23 16:24:28 UTC
If you have Win XP it will have a driver built in for it.

---
davebutt
2003-09-23 21:10:01 UTC
Post by Quilljar
If you have Win XP it will have a driver built in for it.
---
Thanks for the idea, but I am not using win xp. I am using windows me
which also includes a driver for it.

Also, its not the driver I need, but the actual software to enter in
key mapping for the buttons. The stick works fine as is, but only with
basic function.
Jay Williams